Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wednesday, October 29th, 2014

CPR
Wednesday, October 29th, 2014
Day Seven
EARLY DISMISSAL SCHEDULE
  • Block 2 = 9:20-10:20
  • Block 3 = 11:30-Lunch
  • 12:45 Lunch


When You Come In
  1. Sign in.
  2. Grab today’s reading, “How’d He Do That?” off the sign-in table.
  3. Get some papers back!  Yay!

Organization:  Papers back and organize binders
  1. Reading and Annotating Beige
  2. Vocabulary Yellow and Orange
  3. Notes and Journals Notebook paper

Reading Assignment--Like our study of archetypes, this is information that will help you start to recognize patterns!
  1. “How’d He Do That?”--Professor Foster
  2. Write annotation directions on your packet, please, if you feel you need the reminder.  I’m going to click on schoology to show you where these requirements are as well.
    1. Annotate plentifully in the margins and in the text.
    2. Use a variety of strategies (See “How to Annotate” handout.) for annotation.
    3. Box words you don’t know; define and note their meanings on the text (probably ten to fifteen).
    4. Wiki allusions (references) you’re not familiar with, then note (probably ten to fifteen).
  3. I’ll start you off by reading aloud, and then you’ll take over.

Annotation Conference
  • I’ll be calling you over into the library one at a time to talk about your “How to Mark a Book” annotations.  When you get the call, come meet with me, please!  

Homework

  • Study the new quizlet vocab words for at least ten minutes.
  • Finish reading annotating “How’d He Do That?”




Creative Writing


Wednesday, 10/29--Day Seven
EARLY DISMISSAL--SHORTENED BLOCK
10:25-11:25

When You Come In
  1. Sign in, please.
  2. Put your homework (page 3) in the drawer, after you make sure to write your name at the top.
  3. If you were absent yesterday, do not ask me about any of that right now.  Class is about to start.  Read yesterday’s blog, and check your grades in schoology, and do all the assignments you can tonight.  (You only get two days to make up your work--per the student handbook--so anything not in to me by class time Friday will remain a zero.)
  4. Public Service Announcement:  Each day you should take two minutes to check your grades in schoology, and to review the blog.  Figure out what you need to do, and do it.  Be independent.  Do not come ask me a question like, “What was this assignment?”  Where can you find out what the assignment was?  That’s right!  On the blog, or on schoology.  
  5. Also, if you miss class, you cannot make up the work you missed DURING class.  Why? ...because we’re doing stuff!  If you miss class, you have to make up that time outside of this class--there is no other physical way it works, what with the time and space continuum and all….

Writing Experiment #3--Earliest Memory Paragraph(s)
1.      Get out a sheet of notebook paper and something to write with.
2.     Write “WE#3—Earliest Memory” at the top.
3.     Model:  I’m going to tell you my Earliest Memory.  As I share it with you, pay attention to the details I am using.
4.     Write down details (a word or a phrase) that have to do with the five senses.
a.    Sight  (colors, visual details)
b.    Smell  (scents, odors, fragrances, stenches)
c.    Taste
d.    Touch  (textures)
e.    Sound  (not “the sound of”,  but actual sounds)


Bathtime
           My brother and I are in the black tub.  He sits at the back of the tub, splashing, and I sit at the front of the tub, running my hands under the water flowing from the silver faucet.   I reach up, and I turn one of the silver knobs all the way to the right.  I clamber out of the tub, and stand dripping on the black furry bathmat.  Steam begins to rise off the water, floating up towards the white ceiling.  The black and white wall tiles start to sweat.
           I turn to look at my brother.  The water is up to his belly, and he holds his arms up and out in front of him, out of the water.  His arms are like skinny white pencils, thin as they are.  Then I see pink; his skin is pink on his chest, and his skin is pink on his neck, and his whole face is turning pink.  He opens his mouth, and he hollers.
           Mom rushes into the bathroom, scoops him out of the tub and wraps him in a black towel. Bathtime is over.

Prepping to Write the Earliest Memory Paragraph
1.      Now you brainstorm some of your earliest memories.  Just make a list.  (two minutes)
  • a.     I lost my favorite kite
  • b.    I cut my head open on a furniture tie
  • c.     First time holding puppy
  • d.    Took my mom’s rotary cutter and sliced my finger open
  • e.    First time to babysitter’s house
  • f.      RAGBRAI at my house, touching hot grill
  • g.    Sister changed my diaper on the dining room table; hiding behind couch
  • h.    Girls scared me with a teddy bear, really bad
  • i.      My first bike wreck
  • j.      Getting a dog after my other one passed away
  • k.     Received a prized teddy bear
  • l.      Girl pulled my ski mask down on me, then attacked me
  • m.  Racecar bed, jumping off spoiler
  • n.    Found a starving cat I got to keep
  • o.    Exploring creek and saw twenty deer


Visualizing Pre-Write                       (five minutes?)
  1. Get out page 16 from your book.
  2. Read the directions carefully.
  3. Fill out the sheet with concrete details from the five senses.

Partner Pair-Share (started @ ______ )
1.      Tell your partner your story—use the visualizing sheet for help.
2. Listen to your partner’s story.
3.     Listener, make comments, and ask questions.  Something you say or ask might HELP THE WRITER flesh-out the story.
  1.  Circle your partner’s five STRONGEST DETAILS on page 16.  
  2. Write one question at the bottom you want answered.
6.    Sign your name at the bottom of the page.

Typing Your First Draft, and Revising to Second
1.      Now, create a new google doc, and type a paragraph or two about your earliest memory.
2.     Please doublespace, since this is prose (not a poem).

Once You Finish Your First Draft/Two Paragraphs

  1. Follow the directions below exactly.
  2. Type these questions at the bottom of your piece.
    1. What colors can I add?  EXAMPLE OF HOW YOUR ANSWER SHOULD LOOK:  I could add the color lavender when I talk about my mom’s shirt.
    2. What textures did I feel?
    3. What sounds did I hear?
    4. What’s my overall feeling about this memory?
    5. Did I learn something from it?
    6. Do I like remembering it?
  3. Ask yourself these questions, type your answers under each question in a different color of ink.
  4. After you type your six answers, go back to your paragraph(s), and add any details you need to, based on your answers (2nd draft).
  5. When you finish, click on “file” then “see revision history”.  Do you see lots of color from where you made changes?  You should!  If you don’t, keep revising, until you’ve made at least ten changes/improvements.  

No comments: